The Annual Colorado PTA Legislative Conference will be held on Thursday, February 26th, 2015. This year the conference theme is “COPTA at the Capitol 2015: A Day of Education and Advocacy.” Our goal is to gather Colorado PTA members at the State Capitol to learn about the issues affecting our children, our schools, and engage with our state legislators.
LEADER IN CHILD ADVOCACY
Colorado PTA has served as a nonsectarian, nonpartisan advocate for the child and for parental engagement since its founding in 1907. The organization is integral part of the child advocacy scene at the Colorado State legislature; from being a principal partner in the 2013 Year of the Student project to providing testimony in Senate and House Education Committee meetings on a number of bills.
The 2015 Annual Legislative Conference welcomes members and supporters from across the state to continue PTA’s legacy and engage in a day of education and advocacy. Participants in the 2015 Legislative Conference will:
- Increase their education and fluency on topics in advocacy by attending presentations and workshops on current and future policy in Colorado and the impact on our children and schools.
- Be connected to their state legislators by attending meetings with them and advocating on behalf of COPTA’s positions.
- Engage in a networking opportunity by meeting members of COPTA and other supporters of public education from across the state united in a common cause to support of our schools and our students.
- Gather information and tools on how to become effective advocates for their schools and their students.
Conference Schedule: The Annual Conference will be held on Thursday, February 26th starting in the Old Supreme Court Chambers at the Capitol building and continuing at the Knights of Columbus Hall for the conference presentations and our luncheon. Check-in will start at 7:30 a.m. with the formal program starting at 8:15 a.m. The conference will conclude at 3:00 p.m.
SCHEDULE AT A GLANCE
- 7:30 a.m. Check-in and Registration
- 8:15 a.m. Welcome and overview of COPTA legislative priorities
- 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. – Workshop #1 Can You Hear Me Now: How to be Heard by your Local School Board
- 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. – Workshop #2 – Show Me the Money: The Current State of School Funding in Colorado and TABOR
- 11:00 a.m. Pictures on the Mile High Staircase at the Colorado Capitol
- 11:30 a.m. Lunch begins at Knights of Columbus Hall
- 11:45-1:15 p.m. Keynote Lunch Panel Discussion: Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3: Testing and Assessment in the Colorado Classroom
- 1:30 p.m. Workshop #3 – Getting Hands on With the Colorado Academic Standards
- 2:30 p.m. Conference Wrap-Up
**Plus, we’ve invited all the legislators to attend our keynote lunch to meet with conference attendees or to have a private meeting. Also in the afternoon there will be time to attend a House or Senate committee meeting or go on a historical tour of the Colorado State Capitol, including the newly renovated Dome and Attic areas!
Directions, Parking and Accommodations:
Please use this map to navigate around downtown Denver and our conference locations at the Old Supreme Court Chambers and the Knights of Columbus Hall.
FEES & REGISTRATION
FEES: The conference registration form and payment must be submitted for your registration to be complete. For non-members, you conference fee includes a Colorado PTA membership
Registration and payment postmarked by February 16th: $35 for Members, $55 for non‐Members
Registration and payment postmarked after February 16th: $65 for Members, $85 for Non‐Members
Payment of conference fees can be completed online by
clicking here or by sending a check to:
7859 W. 38th Ave
Wheat Ridge, CO 80033
Contact the Colorado PTA office, (303) 420-7820 or toll free (888) 225-8234